Highlands Behavioral Health System is entering the new year with a resolution to become a more inclusive facility for everyone. Our goal is to establish a peaceful environment conducive to the wellness of every patient and welcoming of all sexual orientations and gender identities.
We are proud to introduce Constellation, a psychiatric treatment program designed to support LBGTQPIA patients as they navigate their journeys and map their unique constellations in tandem with our current psychiatric programming. Through Constellation, we hope to guide patients as they develop coping skills, life balance and other tools essential to healthy living.
Group Therapy Topics
- Self-image vs. public perception
- Advocating for yourself
- How to deal with bullying, discrimination and stigma
- The importance of spirituality
- Plotting identity
- Body image (eating disorders and body dysphoria)
- Relational and sexual health
- Gender roles
- Grief and loss
- Hormones and the medical side of transitioning
- Coming out
- Dating in the LGBTQPIA community
- Queer community and marginalized identities (intersectionality)
- Queer role models
In addition to our new Constellation group curriculum, our LBGTQPIA advocates offer further mentorship and support during family meetings. Our advocates also facilitate monthly support groups for current patients and alumni.
During discharge planning, we help each patient develop a support system and access a larger community. This includes helping them make appropriate matches with queer-inclusive and -informed outpatient providers able to meet their specific needs at their current stage of life.